Legal Forms, Documents and Contracts

Over 4550 free forms and legal documents. Find and download the one you need!

How to Change Your Name in Utah Form

To apply for a legal name change in the State of Utah, interested individual must follow the steps outlined in this form.Download

Extracted Text for Proper Search

Steps to Filing an Adult Name Change Case	
•Step 1:	 Obtain certification that your name is not listed on Utah's Sex Offender 	
Registry. To do this, fill out your identifying information in the form titled 
"Department of Corrections Certification Regarding Sex Offender Registry." Then 
mail that form, along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope, to the Department 
of Corrections at the address listed on the form. After the form has been 
completed and returned to you, attach it to your Petition for Name Change.	
•Step 2:	 Complete the appropriate forms.	
◦Petition for Name Change	
▪Fill in all the blanks on the Petition.
▪Attach to the Petition the completed Certification Regarding Sex 	
Offender Registry form, obtained in Step 1 above.	
▪Make copies of all documents to keep for your records.
▪Sign the Petition in the presence of a notary public or court clerk, who 	
must verify your identity and your signature. It is best to do this 
before going to court. Most banks have a notary, although many may 
charge a fee for this service to non-customers. By signing in front of a 
notary, you are stating under oath that the document is true.	
◦Cover sheet: This can be downloaded 	here	.	
◦Application and Affidavit for Waiver of Court Filing Fees: Complete this form 	
only if your income is so low that you cannot pay the filing fee. 	Click here to 	
read about "Waiving the filing fee.	"	
•Step 3:	 File your case with the court.	
◦Take the documents identified in Steps 1 and 2 above to the district court in 	
the county where you have lived for the past year. Locate the counter for the 
court clerk, and give these documents to the clerk, along with the required 
filing fee.	
◦If the Petition was not yet signed in the presence of a Notary Public, you 	
must sign it before the clerk at this time.	
•Step 4:	 Send any required notice about your name change petition. It is unusual 	
for a judge to order that an adult seeking a name change must send notice to 
someone else. However, if the judge orders that you do this, you may obtain the 
appropriate form here:	
◦Notice for Hearing on Petition for Name Change - 	 PDF	 | 	 Word	
•Step 5:	 Attend the hearing. At the hearing, this is what you should do:	Because 	
most name changes are granted, prepare the final Order Changing Name before 
the hearing, and bring it with you.
Arrive early at court, dressed appropriately. Persons who show up in shorts, tank 
tops, or other causal wear may be asked to leave.
Check the written calendar of cases to make sure you are in the right courtroom. 
Usually, a calendar of cases is posted outside the courtroom, and may also be 
placed on courtroom tables.
If your case is not on the calendar, ask the court clerk about this. Speak to the 
clerk before or after the court session; never interrupt court proceedings to talk to 
the clerk.
The court almost always sets more than one hearing at a time. Take a seat in the 
audience section of the courtroom until your case is called. When the judge enters, 
everyone stands until the bailiff says they may be seated.
When your case is called, stand up, announce your presence to the judge, and say 
that you are representing yourself. When the judge indicates, walk to the podium.

(Sometimes, though, the judge may ask that you be sworn in to testify from the 
witness stand about the information in your Petition.)
Always address the judge as "Your Honor." Be courteous to all court personnel. 
Remember, the judge has the power to fine you or send you to jail if you are rude 
or discourteous.
Answer any questions from the judge. Tell the judge that you have been a county 
resident for one year immediately before filing the petition, and the reasons you 
want to change your name. Also, tell the judge that no one else will be affected by 
your name change. If someone will be affected, tell what that impact will be. Be 
prepared to tell the judge about any court cases in which you are involved, and 
whether your are on probation or parole.
If everything is proper and there is good cause for changing your name, the judge 
will announce this at the end of the hearing. After the judge makes a decision, ask 
permission to hand the judge the Order you have prepared. The judge will usually 
sign it at the end of the hearing, if it is correct.
If the judge is not ready to decide your case after the hearing or trial, the judge 
will take it "under advisement." Later, the judge will send you a written decision. If 
the written decision grants the name change, then you should file the Order 
Changing Name with the court, so that the judge can sign it. Read the written 
decision carefully, though; make sure that the Order reflects what the judge's 
written decision actually states.	
•Step 6:	 Return to the court after the judge has signed the Order Changing Name, 	
and ask the clerk for one or more certified copies of the Order. Keep these copies 
in a safe place, with other important papers. Then you will have the Order 
whenever you need it for purposes of changing your name (such as on your driver 
license, birth certificate, social security records, etc.). The court will charge a fee 
to copy and certify the Order.	
•Step 7:	 If the name change is denied, re-write the Order Changing Name to 	
reflect the judge's decision, and file it with the court.	
◦After the order denying the name change has been entered, you will have 30 	
days to appeal.	
◦An appeal is beyond the scope of these instructions. To discuss the 	
possibility of an appeal, you may want to contact an attorney or attend one 
of the pro se clinics mentioned elsewhere in these instructions.	
•Step 8:	 If you are changing your married name, your birth certificate does not 	
need to be changed. The Office of Vital Records will not amend a birth certificate 
to change a birth name to a married name. A copy of your birth certificate along 
with the name change order should provide acceptable proof of your identity. If 
you need to change a birth certificate after obtaining a name change court order, 
you may do so by filing the order with the state registrar in one of the following 
◦Obtain an amended birth certificate by going to the Vital Records office, 	
paying the fee, and presenting a certified copy of the court's name change 
order, as well as a valid picture identification. The Vital Records office is 
located at:Utah Office of Vital Records and Statistics	
◦288 North 1460 West
◦Salt Lake City, UT 84114
◦(801) 538-6105
◦An amended birth certificate may also be obtained through the mail. That

process involves some delay, because a notarized signature must be 
returned to the office before the amended birth certificate can be issued. The 
address for requesting an amended birth certificate by mail is:Utah Office of 
Vital Records and Statistics	
◦P.O. Box 141012
◦Salt Lake City, UT 84114-1012
Next: How to Change Your Name in Texas Form Previous: How to Change Your Name in Virginia Form
If you want to remove How to Change Your Name in Utah Form from this website please contact us providing the reasons together with this url:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You can use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>